HELEN SAGER CHILDHOOD STORIES

 HELEN SAGER STORY

Our step-mother, Helen Sager, Elena Woskoboinik, was from Ukraine originally and escaped during WW2. She wrote stories of her childhood memories and my father wrote little introductory comments that I italicized.



 


Shortly after moving here we found young Harris College was 

starting a group of courses for "Continuing Education" and we went to several of them. Your mother attended one of them that I recently came across a notebook I 

think you would be interested so I have enclosed the notes from "How to write your life History." I have included a few notes for you also. 



H. Sager 

Cod-Liver Oil 

It was customary, in our family, to give young 

children one tablespoon of cod-liver oil every day. 

Since both parents were working, it was the job of may Aunt Shoora 

to administer it. My younger brother and I hated it. 

We would hide and do everything possible to avoid it. Aunt 

Shoora knew that we liked pickles and came up with a 

solution. "Take a deep breath, hold it, swallow the cod- 

liver oil quickly and chase it down with a pickle, she would 

instruct us. We followed her instructions and from then on 

it was a lot easier to accept that smelly big tablespoon of 

cod liver oil coming toward you. 

 

The paper speaks for itself. Your mother was eight years 

old when the 1932 - 33 famine took place. She never mentions, school or if she even went to school during this part of her life. 

 

H. Sager 

Dvedooshka (Grandfather) 


Today I read in the paper that "A monument in memory 

of the more than seven million victims of the Great Famine of 

1932-33 in Ukraine was dedicated on Saturday, December 4, 

1993, in Bloomingdale, IL., at St. Andrew's Ukrainian 

Orthodox Church"," 

This statement brought memories flooding to my mind 

… Ukraine. 

For some reason, that I didn't understand, in late 

summer, my parents brought my younger brother and me from 

Charkov, where we lived, to a small village, Slovyanka, to 

visit our paternal grandparents. We stayed (my parents had 

to return to their jobs in the city) with our grand parents 

almost a year and it was very enjoyable. The adobe house was 

white washed with lime, had a thatched yellow straw roof, 

green shutters decorated with painted flowers and dirt floors 

indoors. It sat on the side of a dusty dirt road with cherry 

trees behind it and farm buildings around it. There were 

cows, pigs, chickens and pigeons. A slow moving river, 

caught between lush green banks, was flowing nearby. There 

was a lot to do here and much to see. 

I would wake up in the mornings to the smell of bread 

baking and food cooking in the kitchen and come running out 

to see what grandma was preparing and to greet my grandpa, 

who was bed ridden most of the time. He was usually resting 

stove where it was always warm. He greeted me 

with a smile and a kiss. 

"Grandpa, grandpa, I would shout excitedly, "what 

surprise do you have for me today?" 

"Well, here it is, but you have to come closer to get 

it. Guess which hand I have it in?" grandpa would say. 

"This one!" I would point to one of his hands. 

"Here you are, " and grandpa would give me a small 

brown paper bag with several pieces of hard candy in it. I 

would taste one and save the rest for later. It tasted sweet 

and fruity and felt hard against the roof of my mouth. 

This was a daily ritual that we went through and to 

this day I do not know where or how he got that candy for me 

every day, but I still recall the joy of it. 

My favorite place was the pigeon house and its loft. 

Upon entering it, I could hear the gentle cooing of the 

pigeons. Climbing into the loft, I could see some pigeons 

sitting on their eggs in their straw nests. A very sharp 

odor permeated the loft to the point of burning my nose and 

throat. But here I was high about the ground and looking 

through the pigeon holes I could see almost the entire 

village, the blue river flowing slowly and the homespun linen 

stark white against the green of the banks drying in the sun. 

The swoosh of the wings of the returning pigeons would 

disturb my daydreaming and I would reluctantly climb down 

the rough hewn ladder, that often left painful splinters in 

my fingers. 

Not till many, many years later in the United States 

of America did I learn about the Great Famine of 1932-33, 

created by Stalin. Only then did I realize why my parents 

left us that long with our grandparents. 





I heard this story many times. Again, Helen was about eight years old

at this time.



H. Sager

Grandpa's Preference


When staying with my paternal grandparents, as

child, it was always fun to watch my grandma preparing the

meal and setting up the dinner table. The table was covered

with a white linen tablecloth embroidered with traditional

Ukrainian red roses with black stems and leaves. There would

be 2-3 different kinds of steaming vegetables, some kind of

meat, bread, butter and dessert. Grandma would bake sweet

breads and pirogi, which would be filled with seasonal fruit,

jam, sweetened and flavored creamed cottage cheese, Or

steamed, sweetened mashed poppy seeds. Dessert was my

favorite course, We would all start Our dinner with meat ཝཱ

vegetables, bread and milk. But Grandpa would start with a

dessert. I asked him why he was eating his dessert first and

he responded by saying that once foods reach your stomach

they all get mixed together and he wanted to make sure he had

room for his favorite food. That was his preference and I

never forgot it.

:


Sweet Sixteen


When your mother was just fourteen years old her father was arrested and sent to the Hard Labor lamp in Siberia..

Before his arrest they had a nice three bedroom apartment but after his arrest they had to move into a one room apartment and share kitchen privileges and a bathroom. There were I, believe, five living there: Your mother's mother,, your mother and your mother's brother and young sister..



H. Sager

Sweet Sixteen


It was a sunny warm early spring day in Kiev after a

long cold winter. People were rushing down the hilly streets

leading to the main street, Christshatic. I felt wonderful

strolling leisurely down the street periodically stopping to

dreamily gaze into the shop windows. I just turned 16 and

felt very grown up and ready for an adventure. I briefly

stopped at the photographer's window looking at his display.

Suddenly the proprietor came out and asked me if I would pose

for a portrait it would be at no cost to my family and he

would give us pictures and display a very large framed

for the rest of the year! I was startled and

could feel my face getting red as he was complimenting my

long chestnut colored hair and my appearance.

would ask my mother and come back the next day at the

appointed time. My mother not only agreed to his proposal,

but even lent me her best dress to wear. The photos turned

out well and my portrait was displayed in the shop's window

for the rest of the year. Because of this incident I was

able to send a copy (of the free photos) to my father, who

was sent to hard labor camp in the Ural mountains.


German Invasion

Your mother was seventeen years old at this time and they were finally able to get permission to go to your mothers maternal home in Parlohrad.

This was probably in 1941.


H. Sager

GERMAN INVASION


Kiev, the beautiful historical capital city of

Ukraine, was basking in the warmth of a perfect early sumner

day. The chestnut trees lining sidewalks were proudly

sporting the white candelabras of their blooms and sidewalks

were full of people rushing here and there.

School was out and I was watching the people in the

street from the balcony of our only room. I Was seventeen

years old and my thoughts were with my summer plans. My aunt

Shoora who lived with us and took care of us was inside

altering my mother’s dress. My mother was at work and my

younger brother and sister were somewhere outside playing.

The room we were living in was one of the seven rooms

on the third floor occupied by six families, we all shared

one bathroom and kitchen. There were six of us since my

father's mother, Agrepina, just arrived for the summer visit

and to help with the children. My father has been arrested

and was in a hard labor camp without any trial -

just on drummed up verbal charges - a victim of Stalin's

paranoia. (He was taker away in the middle of the night in

1938, and we were able o see him once

jail where he reassured us of his innocence and told ub to never feel

ashamed of him.) At that time, we were forced to give up two

other rooms.

Every room in the flat had a speaker wired to s

central radio station which supplied us with government

programs: music, news and propaganda.

I heard a special announcement and listened to hear what it was.

Stalin was speaking. His voice very nervous and at times he was

actually crying. It was 4:00 p.m.; June 22, 1941.

I listened n shock as he was describing how Germans

who signed a non-aggression pact with the Soviet Union in

1939, broke the treaty by crossing the western border into

the Soviet Union without hardly any resistance from the army

and were bombing, burning and looting villages and towns,

killing local residents and raping women. The Jews were

being killed and soldiers taken prisoners.

(After the war I learned that Hitler signed the 1939 Pact with Stalin just to

gain time to prepare for War. He made agreements with both.

Finland and Romania to place German troops there to create an

Eastern Front. He wanted to expand the borders of the Reich

to include USSR land from Archangel to Astrakhan, in order to

gain industries and agricultural lands for Germany. Stalin

and Soviet forces were not prepared for the war. The armies

were not ready for Hitler's attack: between 1937-38, 38,000

senior officers had been purged, almost half of the tanks

obsolete and only one fourth in working order. Stalin was

was determined not to provoke the Germans and would not allow

Soviet reconnaissance planes to keep an eye on their

movements. Artillery fire was forbidden even after the

immediate German attack on the entire West Front Soviet

soldiers were fighting valiantly, resisting the Germans,

though it was hopeless. One thing the Germans found out was

patriotism was unbelievably strong.)

Immediately following Stalin's speech, lines began

forming at all stores with people buying and hoarding foods,

shoes and clothing. In spite of all the reassurance from the

government, people were frightened and angry. Many families

were seeking governmental permission to leave Kiev, to move

in with their relatives. residing further East in smaller

towns or villages, My mother attempted to do the same, but

was declined a travel permit, probably because of my father's

Arrest. She was finally able to reach her brother-in-law,

who was a Major in the Soviet Aray, and he was able to obtain

a travel permit for our entire family from Kiev to Pavlohrad,

Ukraine, where my mother's family was living.

While sitting in an overcrowded train, I couldn't help

but think that my summer plans were in limbo and I

frightened of what the future held for me.


First Worship Service


Your mother wrote ".. after the German

Occupation…” But she always told me that

the Italians were there in the town for a

brief time and then the Germans came and the Germans opened the churches that had been closed for so many years. Her grandmother taught her the Lord's Prayer.

How-long after moving here was your

Mother taken by the Germans I don’t know

but your mother told me she was eighteen

years of age when she lift her home in

1942.


H. Sager
First Worship Service

After the German occupation of Pavlohrad, Ukraine, the

churches were allowed to reopen after over 20 years of being

closed, destroyed, or used as warehoused, or museums of

"Religion and Atheism". My grandmother asked me to come with

her to a service. I agreed to come along out of curiosity

(I was raised an atheist). It was a Russian Orthodox Church

just at the end of our street. The floors were all marble.

There were a few benches along the entrance for persons sick,

elderly, or incapacitated. There were many people in the

church, all standing up, listening to the very formal

service. The fragrance of incense was everywhere. Candles

were burning and icons of saints were gleaming. When the

time came to pray, we would drop to our knees and touch the

floor with our foreheads. The floor felt very cold and hard.

The service lasted 2-3 hours and it affected all of your

senses: smelling the fragrance of incense, hearing the bells

ringing periodically, seeing the priests, robed in colorful

attire, and tasting the bread dipped in a huge gleaming silver

communion chalice of wine. It was a memorable experience. I

never forgot.




No comments:

Post a Comment

SEBRING BREAKFAST KIWANIS CLUB 1983-93

  SEBRING DOWNTOWN BREAKFAST KIWANIS CLUB 1983-93 1983 Sometime in 1983 I ran into an old acquaintance, Hal Keyes. Hal worked as a clerk for...