Lessons from my Hernia Surgery 2020

 


LESSONS FROM HERNIA SURGERY

Ed Sager

February 18, 2020

Bartow Regional Medical Center


Being convinced that God has a sovereign purpose for everything I go through and that it will inevitably work for my good and his glory (Rom. 8:28), and that light afflictions which are for a moment work for us a far more and exceeding and eternal weight of glory (2 Corin. 4:17 – see Calvin), I thought I’d jot down some thoughts while they are fresh regarding what hernia surgery has and is teaching me.


  • Being physically healthy is truly a great blessing. This is the first time since 1959 I’ve been hospitalized, when I had my tonsils and adenoids out at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, which is where Dr. Everett Koop worked and was the first children’s hospital in the U.S.A. in 1855. Many people are struggling with horrendous health problems and they are extremely hard to take. You literally can’t escape. It makes me more aware of others’ plights and appreciative and thankful for what I have. After every male in my immediate family has had hernia surgery from the age of 16 (Tom) through the forties (Willi), I am grateful to last this long and have the benefits of surgical advances.

  • Humility: there is no permanent cure this side of heaven for pride, but being dressed in a hospital gown split down the back and adorned with a pair of ‘duck pants’ adult diaper, walking with a walker through the hallways of a hospital is pretty humbling. To rely on somebody to be with me to keep my IV pole and watch so I don’t have a fall is humbling, wearing my fall hazard wrist band. It was good for me to have been afflicted this way.

  • Competent care that is available and we can afford is a huge blessing. People who are in health care are special, and some are extremely capable of reaching and ministering to your needs on many levels. One nurse, Don, an R.N., was right there on God’s timetable for me, as well as a very personable hospital doctor, Dr. Sweeney, a G.P. I had to go back into the hospital after complications ensued [with fecal impaction and urine retention]. Don told me he had the same problem years ago but much more seriously and it changed the course of his life. He took two years to recuperate and decided to change professions and became a nurse as a result. He understood my situation personally and was able to direct my care under the oversight of my admitting doctor. Don took gradual steps to address my need and was finally successful. His delight at the success was evident and sustained as I saw a day later. During the height of this I had another nurse, Karen, who actually sang humorous renditions of popular songs with her beautiful voice as she changed words to include ‘constipation’ and so forth. It took the edge off and they cheered me on and rejoiced when success came. Having a team of fun and supportive people like that made a huge difference. Even the young lady who delivered my bland, liquid diet food had a sincere desire to find something that I liked. When she offered me Italian Ice and I wasn’t sure what it was. After trying it I told her I liked it. She brought me two helpings after that. She was so intent on figuring out what I enjoyed even on my restricted diet plan. It was further testimony of God’s goodness, love and mercy. Being in the same hospital my brother in law, Roy Cox, worked in for thirty years, was very nice. So many knew and appreciated him. Another blessing of God’s plan for family.

  • Terrie’s faithful care, and sacrifice to be with me was another ongoing lesson of God’s goodness, love, wisdom and grace in giving me such a help in my time of need as my life-companion. She is amazing and I am so grateful for her. There is nothing I value on earth that can express her worth. She is a precious jewel of a wife for me and I lift up my voice in the gate and give her praise.

  • TV is boring. There is so much useless drivel, an unending spigot of bilge that pollutes the mind and numbs and destroys the soul. I am grateful for the few gospel lights out there. It was good to hear Charles Stanley faithfully lifting up God’s Word, and one other I can’t recall now. Pastor Stanley closed with Isaiah 43:1-3 about God being with us in our severe trials and keeping us from being hurt in them. I was able to have a nurse bring me a Gideon’s Testament. Thank God for Gideon’s and their long-term commitment to make God’s precious Word available to so many billions of people around the world.

  • God is faithful. He keeps his promises. He did not forsake or leave me. He made my bed in my sickness. Ps. 41:3 Considering the poor is something the Lord has been good to impress on me. We have been privileged to be doing this for years. He certainly heals my diseases and I am so grateful to know His promises as a recipient and possessor of much grace.

  • I don’t deserve what I have. God’s grace to me is truly amazing.

  • Prayer is real and answered. Many times in my adversity and distress I simply cried out, ‘Help, Lord’, like Peter in the waves. He delivered me from all my fears. It was not always in the time and way I imagined or hoped, but He definitely was with me. Prayer in affliction was focused peculiarly and stripped of anything extraneous. Thank
    God for the blessing of praying brothers and sisters. I really appreciate the support given in prayer. God answered wonderfully.

  • A quiet house is a great blessing. I appreciate the relative peace and quiet we enjoy at home. Our home is a great place to recuperate and live in. Thank God for a nice home and a wife who cares so well for it and has made it a great place for us.

  • Providence is remarkable. My doctors were a God-send. The staff at the hospital was a God-send. The hospital was a blessing, not too big to get lost in the shuffle. Our lives are ordered by the Lord.

  • My father calls regularly to check up on me. He hasn’t called much in recent years, but leaves that to my initiation. His care has been a huge encouragement and blessing, as was my sister Amy’s personal visit.

  • God’s faithful servant, Eric Sims' ministry to the church was God’s provision of grace right on time. Thank God for a faithful steward.

  • Good books are a real blessing. I am so thankful to have so many excellent books to provide me with an enjoyable, relaxing, profitable pastime as I recuperate. The gifts and labors of so many writers are readily available and I am grateful for my personal library.

  • I am learning to express my thanks more regularly to people who serve me. It is a simple thing, but in many cases, especially in the hospital, I know so many patients are grouchy and demanding and hurting and they probably get a lot of abusive language at work. It can really lift them up to make use of a few, simple, sincere words of thanks.

  • Humor is a great thing. Laughter is definitely good medicine, especially when you’re hurting. To have a laugh is a wonderful relief and blessing. There is so much that is really funny that is not offensive or vulgar. 

  • A catheter is definitely not pleasant, but not the worst thing in the world. It allows my bladder to recuperate and serves a purpose I need right now. Sometimes an unpleasant thing is temporarily necessary to prevent much worse things. 

  • Trusting God is what comes to the forefront in every trial. God is available in hard places. His grace is sufficient. He is working even when things seem to go so bad. His ways are past finding out, and he will perfect that which concerns me. Ps. 138:8

  • Feb. 26 was a fine day to have my catheter removed. To be free from the Foley bag is liberating for sure. Great to be able to function normally again and go forward with healing. Ps. 103:1-3 God’s mercy and wisdom in design is remarkable and precise. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Ps. 139:14 God is my hope and salvation. One day I will have a new resurrection body that will never have any pain or infirmities. Hallelujah for Jesus!


I am sure there are more lessons in store, but these stood out. God's strength is certainly perfected in our weakness. What a frail, vulnerable creature I am. I am so thankful that God gave us good doctors, dedicated and qualified nurses and medical technicians and staff, and a supportive family and praying friends. Healing is amazing and truly a gift from God. He heals all our diseases - Psalm 103:3. One day none of this will matter or ever happen again. God will give us new bodies like Jesus’ resurrected body and we will never go to a doctor or hospital again. Praise the LORD!


No comments:

Post a Comment

SEBRING BREAKFAST KIWANIS CLUB 1983-93

  SEBRING DOWNTOWN BREAKFAST KIWANIS CLUB 1983-93 1983 Sometime in 1983 I ran into an old acquaintance, Hal Keyes. Hal worked as a clerk for...